NEWS & EVENTS
- An Evening of Prayer for Victims of Violence in San Jose–The Catholic community of San Jose invites you to an evening of prayer for victims of violence and those left to remember them with Bishop McGrath on Wednesday September 30, 2015, 7:30pm at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph at 80 South Market Street, San Jose. SJVictims’EventFLYER 9-30-2015
- California’s historic opportunity to end the death penalty , by John Dear S.J., National Catholic Reporter, October 2, 2012
- LaDoris H. Cordell: I’ll always remember the man I wrongfully sentenced to prison, By LaDoris H. Cordell Special to the Mercury News, June 13, 2012
- Bishop Richard Garcia speaks about unanimity of bishops of California in support of SAFE California Initiative and how death penalty is pro-life issue, video from 2012 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress
- Very Rev. Brendan McGuire gives testimony before Santa Clara County Human Relations Commission, audio, April 2012
- Death penalty is not justice, by Cirilo Flores, U~T San Diego, June 9, 2012
- California’s death penalty law: It simply does not work, by Ron Briggs, Los Angeles Times, Februrary 12, 2012
- CALIFORNIA CHIEF JUSTICE URGES REEVALUATING DEATH PENALTY, Los Angeles Times, December 24, 2011
Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye, one of the high court’s more conservative members, says the death penalty is no longer working for the state. Read Full Article.
- UPDATE ON THE CASE OF DAVID RALEY
- On August 10, 2011, the California Supreme Court directed the Santa Clara County Superior Court to hold a hearing to consider the evidence that David is mentally retarded. If the court finds him to be retarded, he would be resentenced to life without parole. The case has not yet been assigned to a superior court judge, and the schedule for the proceedings in the superior court has not yet been set. There will be many procedural steps before the case will be ready for a hearing. The case will be decided by a judge alone, without a jury. Lawyers in the San Francisco office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, a large international law firm, have taken on David’s case pro bono.
- UPDATE ON LETHAL INJECTION
- The pretense of lethal injection as a peaceful and painless way to execute prisoners is unraveling, and this may change the face of the death penalty in the United States. Read Full Article.
- SECOND THOUGHTS OF A HANGING JUDGE
- Hon. Donald McCartin, LA Times, March 25, 2011
I presided over 10 murder cases in which I sentenced the convicted men to die. As a result, I became known as “the hanging judge of Orange County,” an appellation that, I will confess, I accepted with some pride.
- THE PENALTY OF DEATH AND A CONSISTENT ETHIC OF LIFE
- Rev. Salvatore J. Cordileone, March 24, 2011
At an event sponsored by California People of Faith Bishop Cordileone of Oakland spoke at Queen of Apostles Church in San Jose on a Consistent Ethic of Life, speaking of the “seamless garment” philosophy, which holds that such issues as abortion, capital punishment, militarism, euthanasia, social justice, and economic injustice all demand a consistent application of moral principles that value the sacredness of human life.
Full Text of the Bishop’s Speech
- GOV. PAT QUINN SIGNS S.B. 3539 INTO LAW, ABOLISHES DEATH PENALTY IN ILLINOIS
- March 9, 2011
The governor’s action makes Illinois the 16th state to abolish the death penalty.
Statement from Pat Quinn
- DEATH PENALTY: POST-GENOCIDE COUNTRIES BAN EXECUTIONS TO ‘END REVENGE’, Interpress Service, February 25, 2010
More than 1,000 activists and experts attending this week’s Fourth World Congress Against the Death Penalty in this Swiss city are building a network of cooperation to support local organisations campaigning for human rights in countries that retain capital punishment…
- Photos from CPF Actions & Event
- Weekend of Faith 2008